Thursday 3 May 2012

Paper lanterns

These are some prototypes for vat-dyed, shibori lampshades made for my final project in Surface Design.

I received a very generous donation of assorted fine papers from Yvonne Wakabayaski http://www.yvonnewakabayashi.com/ and I wanted to test the limitations of each type of paper. I started with some origami folding for tesselation patterning, which I could not get to work on any of the papers. I went on to fold and clamp the paper before dipping them in various vat-dyes. Some paper stood up very well in cold water vat dyes, but didn't do as well in the warm indigo vat. To my surprise the most delicate-looking paper was the most durable.
 

 






 


 


 The truncated doctahedron shape is my favourite; it looks like it belongs in Doctor Who...especially when you adjust the picture like this!

And it's very spacey-looking at night...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment