Sunday 24 July 2011

Itajime and Indigo

I want to make some curtains, similar to traditional Japanese noren, to hang in the doorway between our kitchen and livingroom (I ended up using them for the doorway to the balcony instead).
Using a shibori technique called itajime, where the fabric is first folded and then clamped, I dipped the cloth in an indigo vat. The pattern is called kikko (tortoiseshell) and it makes a hexagon shape.

Itajime (board clamping)


After the indigo has oxidized, the clamp and boards are removed






I learned a lot from my mistakes with this project, for instance I waited a mere 24 hours before washing the fabric, so they faded a fair bit. (For optimal results, you should wait a week before washing) And I think the panels would match up better if I sewed them first and then did the clamping and dyeing. Also...and this is embarrassing...I cut the fabric the wrong way, so they don't drape properly. The bright side is that they allow lots of light to filter in while giving me optimum privacy from our neighbours!



No comments:

Post a Comment